Royals visit Llantrisant
Written by Gavin on 7th July 2021
As part of their annual tour of Wales, His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall visited several locations in Llantrisant on Wednesday 7th July.
The first location to recieve the royal seal of approval was the Llantrisant Guildhall Heritage and Visitors’ Centre.
The royal couple spent almost an hour at the 14th century building which has undergone a £1.4million refurbishment thanks to the fundraising efforts of a handful of volunteers.
They were met by Guildhall Manager Dean Powell and Guildhall Trust Chairman Martin Hooker and walked to the ruins of the nearby Norman Castle which has royal connections.
It’s founder, Richard de Clare saw his daughter Margaret born at the castle in 1252 and she went on to become the Duchess of Cornwall while in 1326 Edward II spent a night at the fortification – although under duress!
Their Royal Highnesses learned of the Llantrisant longbowmen who fought at the Battle of Crecy for Edward, The Black Prince, who took the three ostrich feathers from the enemy king as a treasure of battle – to become the Prince of Wales feathers.
Accompanying the visit was the Lord Lieutenant of Glamorgan Peter Vaughan, who is also a Freeman of Llantrisant – one of 1200 around the world
The Grade II Listed Guildhall was erected in 1346 to administer the rights of the Freemen of Llantrisant who took privileges including grazing rights for their animals and the ability to rule markets and fairs following the presentment of a Charter from the Lord of Glamorgan.
The Guildhall’s upper room was used as a courthouse while a cornmarket existed in the lower floor and opened out onto a market-place. The building was also used as Llantrisant’s first school and as a place of worship for the Baptist movement in the 18th century.
By 2010 the building was underused and close to being derelict when Dean Powell and Martin Hooker, led an extensive fundraising campaign to totally restore the Guildhall to its Georgian period and open a heritage and visitors’ centre.
Llantrisant Guildhall celebrates the history of the town while also providing an activity centre for school groups, concerts, guest speaker evenings, ghost walks, medieval fayres and community events.
One of the exhibits is the treasured Llantrisant Mace, made in 1633, it survived the English Civil War and it older than the one in the Houses of Parliament today.
Their Royal Highnesses enjoyed performances by the children of Llantrisant Community Primary School and Ysgol Gynradd Gymraeg Llantrisant before being introduced to Robert Bannister, an experienced longbowman and Chair of the Lions and Lillies Re-enactment Society.
A performance was also given by the young dancers of Afon Dance Community Group under its leader Louise Prosser.
The royal couple were introduced to a number of local business owners including Bronwen Thomas and Gill Stanridge of Model House Craft & Design Centre, David Ritchen and Kevin Morris of Bull Ring Stores and Colin and Ceilo Edrop of The Bear Inn.
Their Royal Highnesses unveiled an impressive slate plaque to commemorate the visit before a final performance of “Cwm Rhondda” by the massed voices of Llantrisant Male Choir, Llantrisant Ladies Choir and Cor y Bryn.
The royal couple also visited the state or the art Y Bwthyn NGS Macmillan Specialist Palliative Care unit in Royal Glamorgan Hospital where they spoke with all the patients and praised the commitment and hard work of all the staff.