Wicked tickets go on sale at Wales Millennium Centre
Written by admin on 3rd February 2023
WICKED, “one of the most successful musicals of all time”, according to the BBC, will fly back into Wales Millennium Centre’s Donald Gordon Theatre from Thursday 24 October 2024 and tickets are on sale now from www.wmc.org.uk/wicked.
The spectacular, multi-record-breaking and critically acclaimed touring production will return to Wales Millennium Centre from Thursday 24 October 2024 – Saturday 23 November 2024.
The West End and Broadway musical phenomenon, that tells the incredible untold story of the Witches of Oz, continues its open-ended run at London’s Apollo Victoria Theatre, where it is now in its 17th year and already the 12th longest-running production in West End history.
Based on the novel by Gregory Maguire, Wicked imagines a beguiling backstory and future possibilities to the lives of L. Frank Baum’s beloved characters from The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and reveals the decisions and events that shape the destinies of two unlikely university friends on their journey to becoming Glinda The Good and the Wicked Witch of the West.
With a huge touring cast, orchestra, company and crew of 82 people, and a further 20 people employed locally, “the blockbuster stage show” (Edinburgh Evening News) played to two sold-out audiences during two previous tours to Wales Millennium Centre. Casting will be announced in due course.
Reviews from previous visits to Wales Millennium Centre:
“If you haven’t seen it, go!” – Western Mail
“A truly outstanding production, sung and performed to perfection.” – South Wales Evening Post
“Wicked is a treat from start to finish” – South Wales Argus
Wicked has already been seen by more than 60 million people worldwide, and 2023 marks the 20th Anniversary of its Broadway premiere. Productions continue on Broadway, in the West End and on tour across North America. This year, Wicked will also return to Sydney, Australia and Tokyo, Japan.
Wicked features songs by multi-Oscar and Grammy Award winner Stephen Schwartz (Godspell, Pippin, The Prince of Egypt, Disney’s Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame and Enchanted). It is based on the multimillion-copy best-selling novel Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire and written by Emmy and Tony Award nominee Winnie Holzman (creator of the landmark American television series My So-Called Life). Musical staging is by Tony Award-winner Wayne Cilento with direction by two-time Tony Award-winner Joe Mantello
Wicked is produced by Marc Platt, Universal Stage Productions, The Araca Group, Jon B. Platt and David Stone. Executive Producer (UK & Ireland) Michael McCabe.
WICKED IN NUMBERS
- Wicked has already been seen by more than 60 million people around the world and has been performed in over 130 cities in 16 countries.
- Wicked sold nearly 150,000 tickets during its two previous visits to Wales Millennium Centre.
- Wicked is already the 5th longest-running show in Broadway history. 2023 marks its 20th Anniversary Year.
- Wicked is now in its 17th year at London’s Apollo Victoria Theatre, where it continues an open-ended run.
- The West End production has already been seen by an incredible 11 million people and continues to break Box Office records.
- Wicked features 350 stunning costumes, 140 wigs, 244 pairs of shoes, 110 hats, 125 pairs of gloves and 30 prosthetic masks.
- With a touring company of 80 and 20 additional staff employed in each city, it takes 100 people, both on-stage and behind the scenes, to deliver performances of this massive touring production.
- The 2023-2025 UK & Ireland Tour marks the third time the production has travelled to theatres across England, Scotland, Wales and the Republic of Ireland.
- Wicked has won over 100 major awards including 3 Tony Awards, 6 Drama Desk Awards, 2 Olivier Awards, 10 WhatsOnStage Awards (including 3 for ‘Best West End Show’), 6 Australian Helpmann Awards, and a Grammy.
Official website: www.WickedTheMusical.co.uk