Health Minister awards £220m in funding for Princes Charles Hospital refurbishment
Written by Gavin on 22nd October 2020
The Health Minister, Vaughan Gething has today (Thursday 22nd October) awarded £220m in funding to Prince Charles Hospital, Merthyr Tydfil.
The funding will be used to further refurbish the ground and first floor, having previously benefited from £56m from the Welsh Government for previous phases of the programme.
This phase of the project will consist of redesigning and relocating departments in order to create more efficient and modern accommodation.
Services which will benefit from this investment include:
|· Main Theatres;|
|· Critical Care;|
|· Oral Maxillofacial Services;|
|· Day Theatres;|
|· Blood Transfusion Departments;|
|· Cardio Pulmonary Services (COPD);|
|· Diabetes Services; and,|
This scheme will be provide a significant boost to the local economy. It will see in excess of 80 apprenticeships created with over 60% of the workforce employed from Wales. The investment will also see 60% of the value of the construction programme being spent in Wales. Work is set to begin in November and is forecast to be completed by 2026, during this time, the hospital will remain operational.
The Minister for Health and Social Services, Vaughan Gething, said: “This is a substantial investment which will enhance patient care and the working environment at the hospital. The hospital provides vital care for the Cwm Taf Morgannwg area and beyond, especially for a number of residents of Powys.
“Alongside the many health and wellbeing benefits this funding will bring, it will also provide an economic boost for the community through local labour and sub-contractors.”
Cwm Taf Morgannwg CEO Paul Mears said: “We are really delighted to have received this funding from Welsh Government. The redevelopment of Prince Charles Hospital is a key priority for the Health Board in ensuring we can deliver high quality care for the local community and an improved environment for our staff to work in.”
Cwm Taf Morgannwg chair Marcus Longley said: “This is excellent news. There are still several years of major work to take place in Prince Charles Hospital, and this investment gives that work new impetus. When it’s finished, we will have a hospital truly fit for generations to come.”