Culvert replacement in Mountain Ash to increase flood resilience

Written by on 4th January 2024

Work to install an upgraded culvert system at a section of Dyffryn Road in Mountain Ash will soon get underway, using funding secured by the Council from Welsh Government to alleviate the risk of flooding locally. 

The scheme will take place near Dyffryn Road’s junction with Aberffrwd Road, to replace the existing culvert with a structure that has an increased capacity to cope with periods of heavy rainfall. The upcoming work will also include the installation of a new inspection chamber and an outfall structure.

Rhondda Cynon Taf Council’s Streetcare Team, working alongside its nominated sub-contractor, will deliver the scheme on site from Monday, January 8 (2024). The work is anticipated to last approximately five weeks. A lane closure will be required at Dyffryn Road, operated using temporary traffic lights. Local bus routes will be unchanged. A footway closure is also needed, with a temporary pedestrian route being signposted through the works area.

The Council has secured 85% funding from Welsh Government to deliver this scheme, via the Small Scale Works Grant. The remaining 15% match funding is provided by the Council’s Highways and Transportation Capital Programme.

Councillor Andrew Morgan OBE, Leader of Rhondda Cynon Taf Council and Cabinet Member for Infrastructure and Investment, said:

“This culvert upgrade in Mountain Ash is the latest of many schemes across the County Borough being targeted to reduce flood risk in local communities. The work will install a more suitable culvert with a greater capacity than the current structure, in preparation for future periods of heavy rainfall. The £105,000 investment is funded via Welsh Government with Council match funding.

“In 2023/24, we’ve secured £4.8m for flood alleviation work via Welsh Government’s Flood and Coastal Erosion Risk Management and Small Scale Works Grant programmes – along with £900,000 from the Resilient Roads Fund. This is on top of the Council’s own Drainage/Flood Risk investment programme, while additional funding of £200,000 was allocated for flood alleviation in November as part of a wider investment in Council priority areas.

“The upcoming scheme at Dyffryn Road and Aberffrwd Road in Mountain Ash will start on January 8, requiring a lane closure and footway diversions. The Council will work hard to minimise the disruption to residents and road users, as we deliver this important flood alleviation investment for the community.”


Current track

Title

Artist

Background